Upstate Deals and Doings – February 28, 2018
Deals, news and events for the investment community across Upstate New York.
Published online and emailed to members every other week.
NYS Business Plan Competition Update
Upstate Capital is forming a coalition, together with NYSEDC, FuzeHub and other statewide and regional partners, to run the collegiate business plan competition for 2018 and beyond. This annual competition brings together hundreds of startups from colleges and universities across New York State to compete for prize money. Read about what's happening here.
- Zag Toys, an Orangeburg-based provider of designing, licensing and sourcing and distribution related services for innovative and on-trend products and toys, was acquired by Jazwares via its financial sponsor Alleghany Capital for an undisclosed sum.
- yourPFO Consulting, a Harrison-based provider of financial consulting services, was acquired by Brown & Brown of New York, for an undisclosed amount.
- High Tech Rochester has rebranded as NextCorps. The organization announced the official opening of a new facility dedicated to fostering the creation and growth of high tech companies.
Upstate capital events
- March 1 - Hudson Valley - Angels and Startups: Building an Entrepreneurial Ecosystem. Upstate Capital is hosting an event dedicated to forward thinking for company executives, current and prospective angel investors, and people interested in entrepreneurship and future technology trends. Register here.
- March 28 - Rochester - 2nd Annual Upstate Capital Celebration. An event to highlight the most interesting investments across New York State over the past year in seed, venture and private equity. The event showcases seed, venture and private-equity backed businesses and thriving industries across the state, and will include business plan competition winners from across New York. Receive discounted ticket pricing by registering by March 7. Register today.
- April 26 - Albany - Managing Risk and Strategic Growth - Upstate Capital and the Center for Economic Growth are co-hosting an event for startups and growth-oriented companies to explore best practices and lessons learned in managing risk through startup, launch and scaling for established companies. Participants will include entrepreneurs, company executives, investors and business leaders across the region. Register here.
- March 6 - Albany - Tax Reform: What's new for 2018? - with EFPR Group.
- March 7 - Buffalo - Western NY Venture Association Forum - hosts their monthly meeting.
- March 13 -14 - Stanford, CA - Stanford/NVCA Venture Capital Symposium - Get practical guidance on achieving success as a venture capitalist in a rapidly changing marketplace.
- March 23 - New York City - The 5th Annual Single Family Office Summit hosted by the Family Office Club. Topics include family office on co-investing, risk management, and portfolio management just to name a few. Receive $200 off ticket prices by using this Upstate Capital link to register: https://familyoffices.com/UpstateCapital
- May 18 - Albany - KeyBank's Annual Key4Women Forum - a nationwide community of entrepreneurial and executive business women brought together by KeyBank to help them thrive.