Upstate Deals and Doings – March 28, 2018
Deals, news and events for the investment community across Upstate New York.
Published online and emailed to members every other week.
- Ioxus, an Oneonta-based energy services company, received investment from Ares Capital, Aster Capital Partners and ATEL for $16.17 million.
- Polsinello Fuels, a Rensselaer-based energy company, was acquired by Mirabito Fuel Group, for an undisclosed amount.
- Hornby Zeller, a Troy-based commercial services company, was acquired by GTCR and Sycamore Partners, for $1.1 billion.
- Investment trends from Buffalo to Albany: Noa Simons of Upstate Capital shares her insights on deal flow, ecosystems integration, private equity trends and the emergence of the startup community in Buffalo (pay wall).
- 433 new farm-based craft beverage licenses have been issued and over 150% growth seen since Beer, Wine, Spirits and Cider Summit in 2012.
- 9th annual New York Business Plan Competition (NYBPC) final presented by SEFCU to be held at SUNY Polytechnic Institute campus in Albany on April 27 (pay wall).
Upstate capital events
- April 26 - Albany - Managing Risk and Strategic Growth - Upstate Capital and the Center for Economic Growth are co-hosting an event for startups and growth-oriented companies to explore best practices and lessons learned in managing risk through startup, launch and scaling for established companies. Participants will include entrepreneurs, company executives, investors and business leaders across the region. Register here.
- April 27 - Albany - 9th Annual New York State Business Plan Competition- Approximately 120 teams hailing from across New York State will vie for 18 prizes up to $25k. More information here.
- May 4 - Binghamton - Southern Tier Startup Summit - Investors, Workshops, Panels, Pitch Competitions, and food trucks.
- April 9 - Syracuse - Join GENIUS NY to watch finalists from around the world pitch their drone startups for up to a $1 million investment.
- April 10 - Amherst - University of Buffalo's, Henry A. Panasci Jr. Technology Entrepreneurship Competition. Over 60 thousand in cash and in kind up for grabs.
- April 26 - New York City - Demo Day with Quake Capital - Join MicroEra Power and other startups present at the Quake Capital Spring 2018 Demo Day.
- May 18 - Albany - KeyBank's Annual Key4Women Forum - a nationwide community of entrepreneurial and executive business women brought together by KeyBank to help them thrive.